Porting up to Unreal Engine 4.3 – Setbacks Caused by Boneheadedness

Click image for source! (Credit goes to the artist! Not affiliated with the project - used for blog enhancement purposes)

Facepalm – Whiterun Guard

 

Progress has been swift but not without setbacks, as with the problems I encountered moving my project from UE4 4.2.1 to 4.3 preview.

I decided to port up to it because it offers some particular functionality I required, namely the On Actor Fracture event.

I use this to figure out when the destructible oil barrel has cracked open, to spawn the oil spill (which as described previously (under Other Stuff That’s Done) – can be lit by throwing a torch onto it, or other on-fire item). There are some other improvements I wanted access to, but that was the reason for switching now.

Unfortunately I made a bonehead move and converted a copy of the project, started working immediately on adding new stuff (torch throwing, barrel breaking spawn oil spill etc.) without actually checking to make sure that everything worked properly otherwise.

It did not.

The plan for last night had been to take a short video of how the gameplay with the oil barrels and throwing torches was shaping up, but instead…

I spent last night debugging the things that were wrong I had missed, mostly related to the item pickup/drop functionality over the network. My plan for today is to finish up going through the 4.2.1 source blueprints and make sure everything is intact and correct.

What seems to have happened is that the conversion didn’t actually get all the blueprint nodes and variables, and in some cases changed the options of other nodes (raycast was set up to show debug, despite debug being off in the 4.2.1 project).

Once everything is back to normal in the 4.3 project, I’ll be working on overhauling the inventory system.

Here’s the Trello task for that:

Inventory Overhaul Task on Trello

Inventory Overhaul Task on Trello

Once that’s all finished, it’s on to setting up the rat enemy and then the AI for it.

2 thoughts on “Porting up to Unreal Engine 4.3 – Setbacks Caused by Boneheadedness

    • It was pretty weird. It turned out that mostly it was a case of certain settings being unset (variables exposed to Defaults). Once those were fixed it seems like everything worked.

      I did the update from 4.3 preview to 4.3 release last night without trouble luckily.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s