So my Razer Hydra arrived and I spent a little bit of time trying to set it up via Getnamo’s Razer Hydra plugin for UE4, which is awesome! I was able to quickly get it passing values into the game.
The problem lies in transforming the controller position from base-station-relative space to the game’s world space (or the character’s local/component space, even).
After toying with it for a bit I could get it to almost work, but for now I’m setting that aside until Mrob76u, author of the Ultima Underworld VR Remake can share his setup.
I got back to working on the base gameplay and made some decent progress.
Progress towards the gameplay video:
- Health, damage, and death for the rats
- Crushing/impact damage for the rats so that the player jumping onto them causes damage
- Rats spawn a rat corpse item that the player can pickup (and eat), on death
- Rats take damage from fire
- Fixed a couple of misc. bugs
- Fixed throwing force so that throwing a torch is satisfying
Here’s the list of remaining stuff to do from last time, some of which I’ll hopefully get to tonight.
- Kick attack for the player
- Two-handed pickup animation and code setup for the player (to throw barrels)
- Creating a “flee” state for the AI, so that rats that have been attacking run away faster than the normal walk speed
- Setting up flee mode so that cowardly/non-aggressive rats will skitter away when the player nears
- Blood effects on damage for the rat attacks, and also when the rats are damaged
- Hunger/starvation code and an eating AI for the rats.