Lots of Progress on Dungeon Survival

Where Dungeon Survival is at Now

Now that Storyteller is on Oculus Share, and basically “complete” as a demo aside from a couple of poorly chosen audio files (The Shadow Over Innsmouth is the main offender as seen in the Let’s Play by Rift Arcade), I’ve been working on getting Dungeon Survival up to speed and compatible with the Rift.

Careful readers of the blog will probably have realized that the Razer Hydra tutorial I posted earlier is an indicator of my own progress implementing the Hydra into Dungeon Survival.

Right now it does in fact work pretty well, though work customizing controls for the Hydra and being able to move the hands has only just begun. There are a number of improvements to be made in rotation of the fingers, hand and arm segments to get a more natural rotation. Right now the wrist is simply set to the full rotation, while distributing some rotation into the fingers and upper arm and forearm will not only look a lot more natural, but will also prevent skinning problems that are apparent now.

I’ve also switched the project to use UE 4.5 (up from 4.3.1 w/ 0.4.2 OVR SDK support). As part of that switch I’ve decided to go with some lighting changes. Among other things, the lighting is now dynamic rather than baked. This change was primarily to support modular generation of levels, which is something I only recently decided to do (though I’ve always had a hybrid approach in mind). As part of this, I’ve improved the look of the game’s lighting significantly.

Rats now take damage from oil slicks that are on fire (in addition to impact damage – e.g., getting a barrel rolled over them). They also light on fire, and when lit can light other sources of fuel (currently oil slicks). When on fire, rats’ aggression goes down and cowardice goes up (so they run away).

I created and then abandoned a system for picking up DestructibleActors, but in the end it didn’t work as well as I’d hoped. I’d like to revisit it later as it was sorta-close to working out, but a nightmare to debug.

As a compromise, I now simply use a regular physics item that takes damage and can spawn a destructible and break it. This should also network more accurately, and was something I’d wanted to do anyway. For the oil barrel, it’s functionally the same as being able to pick up the destructible actor directly. Additionally it gives the designer a lot more control over explicitly when it will break. Best of all it works.

On top of that, I’ve ported many features of the VR Game Template into my controller and have those set up (so RIft support functions right). I’ve optimized the project so that I can get a solid 75fps locked in the Rift as well.

I’ve spent some time getting body leaning and head rotation based on the DK2, but it’s not quite working 100% as well as I’d like.

The Future of the Game

A gameplay teaser, and eventually a demo. Once DK2-based leaning is working, I’m going to spend some time on the inventory system (right now you can only have the two items in your hands), implementing more items – including weapons, food and drink, traps, and finally level pieces for the random generation system. Then I’ll spend a bit of time polishing some aspects, like the cooking/fire system, so that things like materials will change appropriately (right now there’s no “burnt” state).

Basic crafting of cookfires and torches will also probably go in prior to the demo release, as well as at least one more enemy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s