(This progress report is actually several days old, and represents where the project was at then. There has been additional work since then, which I’ll detail in another post.)
Since I started working on The Dungeon Survival Project in Unreal Engine 4, I have put in:
* Gathering assets I can use to prototype, mostly free with some packs like the Beggar and the fantasy props thrown in, and some dungeon piece packs.
* Basic inventory (networked), customized to drop the item from your hand, including system for showing the item in your hand when it’s picked up (update: this is now fully working, item is picked up and dropped from/to hand, ). Using the items, especially food, to recover the ever-ticking down hunger, also done!
* Basic hunger system, with framework for WIP thirst system. Hunger has a meter, then goes into starvation. After starvation hits 0 it starts ticking damage on the player. (Lots of plans for additional gameplay for this, still WIP).
* True first person
* Beggar character model with animations (I exported the animations, clipped some to create new ones, and learned the animation system in the process) to replace the default guy
* Torch with fire effects and light source (with life-size-ish flame)
* My own animation (I’m not an artist) that makes it so the character holds the torch out, which blends with the walk/jump/idle etc, and ensures the fire effect doesn’t block the player view.
* Preliminary IK setup (needs to have a PHaT asset created for the character to work well), brushed up on PHaT a little bit.
* Imported about 100 of the props from a pack I have into the engine and hooked up materials for them
* Early physics door (bump into it to make it swing open) with a neat little door asset.
* Been working on hooking up the dungeon rooms and hallways I’m going to use, hooked up materials and collision for many of these.